Ever wonder how to make the best version of Mozzarella en Carrozza? Here are the full recipes along with tips and tricks on how to make this yummy authentic Italian dish at home.
Mozzarella en Carrozza: a simple and useful dish
Mozzarella en Carrozza or as we call it “Mozzarella in Carrozza » was originally created to purposely reuse mozzarella and stale bread leftovers. With just a few other simple ingredients, the leftovers went to become a famous dish, usually served as an appetizer and sometimes even as a main dish.
The taste of the perfect combination between the gluey and warm melted mozzarella cheese and a crunchy breadcrumb coating layer is beyond addictive. That is probably one of the reasons why this delicious authentic dish should be in everyone’s repertoire. And the best thing is, the recipe couldn’t be any simpler!
Can I make Mozzarella in Carrozza in different ways?
In fact, it is so easy and straightforward that it might not even be considered a recipe. Apparently, there is not one single or universal way to make mozzarella in Carrozza since it can be prepared in so many different ways. Indeed, you can make the delicious dish by either using pancarrè or homemade bread, while stuffing the bread with ham/sausages and finally, fry or bake the mixture… the possibilities are endless!
This recipe can also be adapted to your preference with any ingredients found in the pantry. You can get creative with stuffing or even with the type of bread you choose to use. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this famous Italian staple, thus why we present you 3 different versions of Mozzarella in Carrozza recipes down below.
How to make Mozzarella in Carrozza with sandwich bread recipe:
Mozzarella in Carrozza with sandwich bread is actually easier to manipulate. You can either cut them into cubes or traditional triangles, this recipe is perfect to be served as appetizers.
List of Ingredients:
- 8 slices of sandwich bread (without rind if you preferred)
- 9oz of firm mozzarella
- 4oz breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- Oil for frying and a pinch of salt
- Cut the mozzarella into slices about half an inch thick and let them dry on a plate lined with absorbent paper while dabbing the cheese to remove the excess moister.
- Then place the mozzarella slices on the piece of bread to keep it from sliding off the edge. You can also add anchovy fillets or some cooked ham for more flavors.
- Cover the cheese with another slice of bread and gently press down with the palm of your hand around the edges in order to compact the slices and prevent the mozzarella from coming out when frying.
- Beat the eggs well then add a pinch of salt (and some pepper if you’d like). Submerge the cheese sandwich in the beaten eggs, make sure the whole sandwich is soaked completely. Then let the excess egg drip off. Place it on the breadcrumb bath to evenly cover the whole piece. Seal the sandwich properly with the breadcrumb layer.
- Next, place the sandwich into bubbling oil to deep fry it (you can use a pan at medium heat). Fry the sandwich until golden brown. Don’t forget to turn the sandwich upside down halfway through the cooking to prevent overcooking; it should take about 2-3 minutes on each side.
After you completed the last step, place the sandwich on an absorbent paper to get rid of any excess oil. You may place your beautiful dish on a decorative platter before serving.
Mozzarella in Carrozza without egg recipe:
Now you might wonder: what if I don’t eat eggs? Can I still make this recipe without one? And the answer is yes! It is important to know that in order to make mozzarella in Carrozza, it is essential that your sandwich is properly sealed to prevent the melting mozzarella from oozing out. This can also be done without the need for an egg!
To make the eggless mozzarella in Carrozza, you will need:
- 5 oz of flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups of water
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir with a whisk or a kitchen fork. Thereafter, thoroughly submerged your mozzarella sandwich in the mixture and then deep fry. It’s as simple as that!
Baked Mozzarella in Carrozza recipe:
A healthier alternative without adding all the fat is to bake your Mozzarella in Carrozza. You can easily cook the dish in the oven and still get the same satisfaction as the deep-fried version. The result will be a little lighter in flavor but equally delicious and crunchy.
To make the baked version, follow the steps below:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °C.
- Prepare the mozzarella sandwich as per the recipe above.
- Make the cheese sandwich and soak it in the beaten eggs.
- After that, completely cover it in breadcrumbs then place the mix onto the baking tray and drizzle the surface with some light oil.
- Put your dish in the oven for 15-20 minutes to cook until the edges become crispy.
Finally, don’t forget to turn the sandwich upside down during the baking process for the sandwich to be cooked evenly. Well, you’re all good to go now! Enjoy your tasty baked mozzarella in Carrozza!